Pages

Wednesday 12 September 2018

📓Maths - Multiplying Fractions By A Whole Number!📓

📓Maths - Multiplying Fractions By A Whole Number!📓
IALT: Multiply Fractions by a WHOLE number!
Kia Ora and welcome to my blog! This week for Maths, the Kia Manawanui syndicate has been working on Multiplying Fractions by a WHOLE number! If you do not know what this means, here is an example:
We got given a worksheet to complete in our books and I think I have been doing REALLY GOOD with it! Fractions is actually one of my MANY STRENGTHS in Maths and I LOVE to do it! 
Image result for I love maths gif
I got stuck on Question 4a and 4b because it was a word problem. I think I got stuck on this because I was thinking to much about it instead of just realising, "If DIFFERENCE is using the action SUBTRACTION, what would I need to do to figure the question?" Instead of that I went, "Well, I think if a/b and c/d is next to each other, should I add them together and then think about what e/f x 5 is?" I think that is something I can work on, thinking outside of the box... but not going over the line. Here is a snapshot of the two questions I got stuck on:
I now know that to solve A I need to go: 
1. First I thought to myself, "If 9/9 was the TOTAL AMOUNT of EVERYTHING, and 4/9 was sold in the morning how much was left?"
 5/9 because 9/9 - 4/9= 5/9

2. Next I figured out what 5/9 of 54 was. 
So, 5/9 of 54 (5/9 of the total amount) = 30
Because 54 divided by 9= 6
6x5= 30

3. Now I know that 30 is my answer, which means they sold 21 in the morning and 30 in the afternoon!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I also know that to solve B I need to go:
1. First I realised that if 1/4 was meant to be cut off, but she cut off 3/7, I need to figure out what 3/7 of 56 is. This is because Ms Komor gave me two pencils but she was only meant to give me one, in order to fix that she needed to take ONE AWAY!

2. Next I went 3/7 of 56= 24
Because 56 divided by 7= 8
And 8x3= 24

3. After that I went, 1/4 of 56= 14
Because I know that 4x12=48
And 48+8=56
8+4=2 which means it'll be 14 because 12+2= 14.

4. Lastly I subtracted in order to find the difference between 24 and 14.
24-14=10 Which means that she cut 10cm more of what she was supposed to!
-----------------------------------------------------------I am now up to this question which I am going to try figure out tomorrow at school:
Here is the link for the worksheet task: 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Learning Areas:
I have enjoyed getting to understand more and more strategies by asking my classmates and peers for help. I have also enjoyed being able to help others understand more how to do this by presenting my knowledge with the group!
Image result for together emoji
My next learning goals are to write down strategies in my book so I can keep it as a little reminder of what strategy to use! It'll help me so much more in maths and I love the idea!
Related image
----------------------------------------------------------
Question of the blog: What are your strengths in MATHS?

Thank you for reading this blog! I hope you enjoyed reading about my knowledge in MATHS! Bye :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

lkomor@tamakiprimary.school.nz
aahkui@tamakiprimary.school.nz