Pages

Thursday 23 May 2019

👷Technology - Last Week of Hard Materials! 👷

👷Technology - Last Week of Hard Materials! 👷
IALT: Create something using Wood in Technology
Bonjour and welcome to my blog! I am currently at Tamaki College in the Hard Materials class with Mr Grundy. Since I am done with my project, today I am going to record all the steps it took me to create my project and share it with you all. I am also going to be sharing with you all the story I wrote about my project when we first started technology.
Image result for technology hard materials tamaki college
Here is the story of my project:
Image result for silhouette applying makeup pngThe design I have chosen to make is a Fridge with a mirror on the door. 
I chose this design because it would be easier for my mum to access a smaller mirror when doing her makeup.
It is for both my mum and sister to use as a mirror or a storage box.
It can be used at home or in the car.

My project was too tricky to make, especially with the opening door so I decided to turn it into a box with a mirror on the front. As the weeks came by, I guess it would've been a lot trickier to find a big enough mirror to go on my box so my project then turned into a box. I think having this opportunity to create something using Wood was amazing. It made me think hard about what I wanted to make and how I was going to make sure that my project was up to my standard. One thing I want to do with my project is decorate it. I think this will show my creativity and I hope my mum likes it!
Image result for thumbs up gif
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I really enjoyed making this box. It really opened my eyes to different things I want to do in the future. I recorded the steps on a piece of paper and I want to share it with you all so that one day, maybe you can create something too!
The Process
Step 1. I used a piece of wood to make a full size working drawing of my project because this drawing showed Mr. Grundy the measurements and the size of my box.

 Step 2. I used a pencil and a ruler to then copy the measurements from my drawing onto the piece of wood.

Step 3. I marked a square line (at 90 degrees) across and made sure that it was square using a Trisquare.

Step 4. I cut off the first piece of wood using a Bench Hook and Backed Saw.

Step 5. I then marked out the joint using the other piece of wood I had just cut out and a Tri Square to make sure it was a tight fit.

Step 6. After that, Mr. Grundy used a marking gauge to mark where the halfway point is for where the joint will end.

Step 7. Next, I used the Backed Saw and a Bench Hook to cut out two lines on the joint. This was quite tricky because I had to stop where the halfway mark was.

Step 8. After that, I had to use a Chisel, Mallet and Bench Hook to chisel out the access wood so that my joint can fit.

Step 9. I had to repeat step 5, 6, 7, and 8 to create another joint on the other side of the wood.

Step 10. Mr. Grundy used some of his machines to make my joints tight.

Step 11. He then used PVA Wood Glue to glue them together and I waited for it to be dry.

Step 12. I used a Ruler and a Tri-Square to measure out the sides of my box on a piece of MDF.

Step 13. After that, I used a Bench Hook and Backed Saw to cut out the MDF wood for the sides.

Step 14. After that, I used Sandpaper to smooth out the sides and then Mr. Grundy used PVA Wood Glue to glue the sides on.

Step 15. Next, I used a scrap piece of wood to measure out the length and width of the lid.

Step 16. I created the lid using a piece of MDF and by using another piece of wood, Mr. Grundy cut out a little piece to use as the knob.

Since my project slightly changed from the start to the end, I decided to make a full-size finished drawing using a pencil, ruler and my project.
                                           

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am gutted that this is my last Hard Materials class at Tamaki College but I am thankful for the opportunity. I will miss Mr Grundy, especially when he would tell us "If you are sitting on a stool and trying to use wood tools, I will rip the chair from under you and beat you with the legs" Being in Hard Materials with mr Grundy has been a blast!
Image result for thank you gif
Question of the blog: Does your school have Technology? If so, what class are you in?

Thank you for reading this blog! Make sure to give me some POSITIVE feedback and feedforward. Bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

lkomor@tamakiprimary.school.nz
aahkui@tamakiprimary.school.nz