Pages

Friday 11 January 2019

🦑SLJP W2D3 - First You 'Sea' Me, Now You Don't - Activity 3: The Midnight Zone🦑

🦑SLJP W2D3 - First You 'Sea' Me, Now You Don't - Activity 3: The Midnight Zone🦑
Image result for lets get startedTalofa Lava and welcome back to my blog! I am going to be completing ACTIVITY 3 of DAY 3 which is called The Midnight Zone! Let's get started!

Have you ever wondered about what is down deep in the ocean? Well, there is an area below the surface called the Midnight Zone! It is called the Midnight Zone because it is pitch black down there. Much of this area is not yet to be explored by human beings but the 'Colossal

 Squid' is known to be one of the animals down there. Have you ever heard of a Colossal Squid? The Colossal Squid can weigh as much as 495 kilograms! (WHAT?!) This activity is going to be another MATHS PROBLEM!!! YAYAYAYAYAY!!! I love Maths so much! Let's get into it!


In Te Papa (museum in Wellington), there is a full sized Colossal squid that ways about 500 kgs! The maths problem that was given to us is:
Let's imagine that the average adult can lift 25 kg and the average child can lift 15kg. How many adults and children will it take to move the giant squid into its new room in Te Papa? My answer is there will need to be 16 adults and 5 children to carry the 500 kg squid into its new room! 

How I figured it out.
To figure this out, I first used my basic facts and knew that 4 groups of adults could lift 100 kilograms which means 8 groups of adults will make 200. 
Since I knew that 8 groups of adults will make 200 which told me that 16 groups of 25 would equal 400 kg. 
After that, I added 2 more adult to make 425 kg. This means 17 adults could hold 425 kgs.
After that, I knew that 5x15=75 and that 425+75=500. Which means 5 kids could hold 75kg.

This tells me that 17 adults and 5 kids could move the 500kg Squid into it's new room in Te Papa! 
  -----------------------------------------------------------------------
That is my answer!
17 adults and 5 kids would be able to lift 500 kilograms altogether!

Question of the blog: Did you have a different answer? If so, what was your answer?

Thank you for reading this blog! Make sure to give me some POSITIVE feedback and feedforward for my future! Bye :)



1 comment:

  1. Hey Lydia

    Firstly, I just want to say that I really enjoy reading your blog posts. They are always of such high quality. You put so much effort into researching them and making them visually appealing. You should be really proud of the work that you are producing.

    Well done on solving this problem through the use of basic facts and prior knowledge. I really like the strategy that you have used. In fact I solved the problem in an almost identical way to you.

    Is there a way to solve this problem to know how many (only) adults and (only) children would be needed to lift the squid?

    I look forward to your reply.

    Ngā mihi,
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete

lkomor@tamakiprimary.school.nz
aahkui@tamakiprimary.school.nz