Pages

Thursday 24 January 2019

šŸ¤¢SLJP W3D2 - The Air Up There - Activity 3: Flying FungišŸ¤¢

šŸ¤¢SLJP W3D2 - The Air Up There - Activity 3: Flying FungišŸ¤¢
Kia Ora and welcome back to my blog! Fungi? Mould? These two things can be found around houses and many different areas. It is found in the middle of winter where it can get pretty wet and damp. When it gets wet and damp, it is common that fungi and mould are formed. Some types of mould and fungi are so small that they cannot be seen. Others, can be found in the air which are called airborne fungi which can sometimes be unhealthy for us!

Image result for mould

This task is a MATHS QUESTION!!! YAYAYAYAYAY! :) Let's get to solving equations! 
The Question:

Let’s imagine that we tested the air in your classroom and found 7 different kinds of mould. Eek! The cleaner says that it takes 5 days for each mould to be eradicated (removed). If the school had to remove each mould one at a time, how long would it take to remove all the mould from the classroom?

Image result for 5x7=35My answer is it will take 35 days to remove 7 different kinds of mould!
Here is how I solved it:
If it takes 5 days to remove one piece of mould removed, it would take 35 days to remove 7 different kinds of mould because 5x7=35!

Another way to explain is by using ratio.
5:1
Which means 5 days to remove 1 piece of mould.
5:1
5x2-1x2
10:2
5x3-1x3
15:3
5x4-1x4
20:4
5x5-1x5
25:5
5x6-1x6
30:6
5x7-1x7
35:7

Image result for yuckBasically what I done here is count up in my 5 times tables but also multiply those numbers by one since my first ratio was 5:1!
Which means my answer is:
It would take 35 days to remove 7 different kinds of mould!



-----------------------------------------------------
35 days to remove 7 pieces of mould?! YUCK!!
Question of the blog: Have you ever seen mould or fungi? If yes, where did you see it?

Thanks you for reading this blog! Make sure to give me some positive feedback and feedforward! Bye :)

5 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Lydia,

    Congratulations on finishing this amazing blog post, you are awesome. I loved reading your story about Flying Fungi. The way you solved this maths problem looked very easy and simple, I loved reading the way you solved it and how you posted it. I have no idea if the answer is right or wrong because I am not that clever.

    Overall incredible work, I really enjoyed it and I am so happy that you have completed this tricky task. Hope to see the following activites on your blog. Keep up the fantastic work, keep blogging and see more soon.

    Was this hard to solve?

    Cheers,
    Hinerangi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Hinerangi,
      Glad to see you enjoying my blog! Thank you for all your lovely POSITIVE comments about me! I love Maths and when I grow up I would love to be an accountant or a Maths teacher!

      This wasn't that hard to solve, I was able to solve it after I read the question!

      Blog ya later,
      Lydia :)

      Delete
  2. Kia Ora Lydia!

    WOW! You are excellent at maths. You have done a lot of work to get the answer. Which is great. I like how you have added some images to give the reader an idea of what the activity might look like and be about.

    Katelynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelynn!
      Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Maths is one of my many strengths throughout my learning! What are some of your strengths?

      Thank you once again,
      Lydia :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Lydia,

    It's Leslie here, a member of the Summer Learning Journey team reading your blog from my home in Canada.

    I'm so glad that you enjoy maths problems! I do too. They're like a puzzle or a game, aren't they?

    You've done a good job of figuring out how to calculate how long it would take to be rid of 7 different kinds of moulds. It's a good thing that you know your multiplication tables! Your answer of 35 days (5 weeks) is correct. Good for you!

    Do you learning maths at school? I should imagine that you're in your new term and in your new class today. I hope you have many friends in your room with you!

    I've never had to deal with a room full of mould like the one in this activity. Thank goodness!! It can be very hard on people's health!! I hope you're never in a classroom with this type of problem either!!

    Good luck with this new school year. I hope you'll really enjoy it!!

    Cheers,

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

lkomor@tamakiprimary.school.nz
aahkui@tamakiprimary.school.nz